B. Tech (Polymer Engineering)Polymer Engineering is the study of the materials of everyday life and the development of new materials that meet societal and technological needs. Plastics and Polymers have been inseparable parts of our lives. From the humble “carry-bag” to the auto-components to those in space crafts, it is difficult to imagine life without plastics. The polymer industry has seen unprecedented growth in the last few decades. B. Tech in Polymer Engineering is a four-year full time course with Trimester pattern. Polymer Engineering as offered, is interdisciplinary in nature, and is a confluence of Chemical and Mechanical Engineering, Material Science and Chemistry. The course curriculum is designed to cater to the needs of Conversion Industry, Research Organizations and Academia.
Why to Choose?The Department of Polymer Engineering offers an undergraduate programme with well qualified faculty members and state-of-the-art facilities. The course is designed to provide fundamental understanding of Polymer Science and Engineering (PSE) and a brief exposure to the latest advances and technologies in polymer industry. Polymer engineers work in the realm of developing or testing plastics/rubbers or related equipment and processes. Polymer engineers may work in areas that include, polymer manufacturing industries as production engineers or technologists, quality control inspectors, product design and analysis, equipment design for polymer processing and process management. In the Public Sector, Polymer Engineers/Technologists can find job opportunities in organizations like Gas Authority India Limited (GAIL), Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), HAL etc. Also, the employment opportunities exist in the private sector with leading MNC’s: Process Industries like Reliance Industries Ltd., DSM, DuPONT; Rubber Industries like Apollo Tyres; Automotive companies like Tata Motors, Bajaj, Volkswagen, VARROC; Chemical Industries like Supreme, BASF, DOW Chemicals, ASIAN Paints etc., apart from the Research Institutes like NCL, DIAT, DRDO etc. Polymer Engineers can themselves be entrepreneurs and start their own companies or work with various consulting organization or be consultants themselves. Also, Polymer Engineers can opt for post-graduation and further Ph.D Programme and also become researchers as well as faculty members in premium Engineering Institutes in India and abroad.
- Provide world-class undergraduate engineering curriculum comprising of foundation, core, electives and unique courses related to World Peace along with live projects.
- Prepare and equip students for opportunities in ever changing electrical and electronics engineering domain with hands-on industrial training.
- Transform the students to become globally competent professionals through international training/internship.
- Nurture the creativity and inculcate entrepreneurial skills among the students.
- Wide choice of elective subjects representing entire spectrum of industry
- Industrial internship for all students
- Emphasis on social context to engineering education
- National as well as international exposure to enhance student’s vision and enrich personality
- Experiential learning in association with industry
- Additional inputs from national and international experts.
- Industry internship certificate
- Yoga/sports certificate
- Teaching learning method based on student’s active participation in his/her own learning (Active Learning Pedagogy)
- Emphasis on social responsibility of an engineering profession (Professional Education with Social Context)
- Flexibility in choice of subjects leading to a definite career path
- Value Based Education
- Creatively designed curriculum providing for experimental learning through real life problem solving in association with industry
- Multicultural and international exposure to prepare for a global career
In this Programme, You will learn….First year provides foundation course related to Science and Engineering. Design is a creative activity central to the engineering profession; students in very first year are exposed to design thinking. Social internship in first year is credit based and exposes the students to the problems faced by community. This is expected to sow the seeds of socially oriented innovation in the student’s mind. Second year courses are designed to provide grounding in basic engineering sciences from the chosen disciplines. Summer internship at the end of second year involves guided study tour. The tour will expose the student to our diverse culture, technology achievements and challenges. Third and fourth years include subjects belonging to the chosen track in his/her own branch. International study tour of four weeks will offer global exposure whereas semester long industry internship in the final year will offer real life industry experience. Capstone project in the eighth semester and inter-disciplinary project in the seventh semester will inculcate problem solving skills, team spirit, professional ethics and habit of self-learning.
How will this Programme be taught?
|Number of Years||Four (Trimester Pattern)|
|Number of Semester||Twelve|
|Evaluation Pattern||Continuous Evaluation, Mid-term and End-semester Examination along with Practical and Oral Examination|
|Electives||Choice based Electives to follow specialization tracks|
|Industrial Internship||Twenty to Twenty four weeks, Live projects, inclusion in Research projects|
|Value Added Certification||Social Internship, World Peace and Philosophy Certification, International Modular Certification jointly with a reputed organization|
Tracks under Polymer Engineering Programme
- Polymer Materials Science and Manufacturing Technology
- Polymer Rheology and Processing
- Tool and Product Design and Simulation
- Number of years: Four
- Academic Pattern: Trimester
- Electives: Choice based electives to follow specialization tracks
- Credit System: Choice based Credit Systems, 180 + Credits
- BS : Basic Sciences
- EC : Engineering Core
- DC : Departmental Core
- DE : Departmental Electives
- HWP : Humanities and World Peace
- SK : Skill based Courses
MIT-WPU Method for AcademicsA Revolutionary Education System that is completely flexible and continuously updated while interacting with surroundings. Contemplates on the future requirements of students while focusing on the inclusion of those traits in current students in real time.
- Live project at national level
- Community based learning experience at rural areas to understand the problems and provide solutions
- Opportunity to work on interdisciplinary projects
- Industry internship/research project at national level
- International modular training/certification programs at reputed organization/university
- Dr. Vikas M. Nadkarni, MD, Techcellence Consultancy Services Pvt. Ltd, Pune
- Dr. Rajeev S. Basergekar, Director-Technical, APPL Industries Ltd. Research & Technology Center, Pune
- Mr. Jayant Dhobley, Global VP (Strategy & Acquisitions), DSM Engineering Plastics, Singapore
- Mrs. Deepali Kelekar, Asia Pacific Manager, Lyondellbasell, Mumbai
- Dr. Jayesh Bellare, Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay
- Dr. Yogesh Joshi, Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Kanpur
- Dr. Anup Ghosh, Professor, CPSE, IIT Delhi
- Dr. V. Premnath, Director, Venture Center, NCL Innovation Park, Dr. Homi Bhabha Road, Pune
- Dr. Ashish Lele, Principal Scientist, Complex Fluids and Polymer Engineering Group, PSE division, NCL, Pune
- Dr. K. Balasubramanian, Professor, Department of Material Science, DIAT, Girinagar, Pune
- Mr. Govind Khetan, MD, Kraton Polymers India, Mumbai
- Mr. Ashutosh Satpute, Head, Gunnebo India Pvt. Ltd., Baroda
FacultyCurriculum will be delivered through highly qualified faculty along with experienced domestic/international faculty and industry professionals.
AssessmentEvaluation pattern: Continuous evaluation, Midterm, End semester examination, Practical and Oral examination.
|Hostel||Spacious Rooms (AC/Non-AC), Laundry|
|Canteens||Wide range of meal options|
|Recreation facilities||Sports – Basketball court, Gymnasium, Wrestling arena, Volleyball court and Athletics track|
|Classroom||Equipped with audio-visual facilities, modern ICT facilities|
|Laboratories||State-of-the-art Laboratory Infrastructure|
|Auditorium||Fully air conditioned with around 800 seating capacity with excellent acoustics used by students for performing arts and movie screening|
Life @ Campus
Technical competitions arranged by students/collegeNIRMITEE (Civil Engineering), TEXEPHYR (Mechanical, Computer, E&TC, IT), Society of Petroleum Engineers (Petroleum), PETROTECH (Petrochemical) and AFFINITY and CONFLUENCE (Polymer)
Extra-curricular activitiesAnnual social gathering, trekking, inspirational movie screening, heritage tour visits to empower students in rural area.
EventsROBOCON: International and national level competitions on Robotics, ONGC Chair Programs in Oil and Gas sector. IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things and Applications (IOTA’2016), IEEE International Workshop on Internet of Things and TV White Spaces (WIOT’2017)
- Reservation policy as laid down by Government of Maharashtra
- Seats for admission in the university for the student belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribes, De-notified Tribes, Nomadic Tribes, Other Backward Classes and Handicapped Students, shall be reserved as per the policy of the State Government. The total reservation in any case shall not exceed 50%.
- Out of total intake, 70% of seats shall be reserved for the students domiciled in State of Maharashtra.
For Maharashtra State Candidate & All India Candidate
- The Candidate should be an Indian National;
- Passed HSC or its equivalent examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry or Biotechnology or Biology or Technical Vocational subjects, and obtained at least 50 % marks (at least 45 % marks, in case of Backward class categories and Persons with Disability candidates belonging to Maharashtra State only) in the above subjects taken together and
- Obtained score in MHT-CET 2017 conducted by the Competent Authority. OR Obtained score in JEE (Main) 2017 conducted by the Competent Authority.
- Passed Diploma in Engineering and Technology and obtained at least 50 % marks (at least 45 % marks, in case of Backward class categories and Persons with Disability candidates belonging to Maharashtra State only);