B. Tech (Petroleum Engineering)Engineering is the profession in which knowledge of mathematics and natural sciences is used to the benefit of mankind. Engineers develop solutions to the problems of society within the constraints of economy and environment. Their primary job function includes activities such as design, analysis, manufacturing, research, sales, management, consulting and many more. New generation engineers are required to cope up with rapid changes in both, domain knowledge and nature of problems to be solved. Engineering profession is becoming increasingly interdisciplinary; making demands on knowledge, skills as well as personality. Our B. Tech Programme is based on the three cardinal principles: providing social context to education, giving maximum choice to the student to choose a career path and encouraging active learning.
Why to Choose?Petroleum engineers are recruited in national and private oil and gas companies, contractor and service companies, engineering consulting firms, government agencies, oil field services, and equipment suppliers. With growing use of specialized software in Petroleum Industry, engineers have opportunity to work in software industry as well.
Programme ObjectivesPetroleum engineering programme under MIT-WPU is a 4 year 12 semester choice based credit system pattern programme with industry training to make industry ready engineer. The Petroleum Engineering programme will prepare graduates to be proficient in:
- Mathematics through differential equations.
- Probability and statistics.
- Fluid mechanics, strength of materials, and thermodynamics.
- Develop competency in design and analysis of well systems and procedures for drilling and completing wells.
- Characterization and evaluation of subsurface geological formations and their resources using geo scientific and engineering methods.
- Design and analysis of systems for producing, injecting, and handling fluids.
- Application of reservoir engineering principles and practices for optimizing resource development and management.
- The use of project economics and resource valuation methods for design and decision making under conditions of risk and uncertainty.
- Wide choice of elective subjects to meet individual professional goals
- One semester industrial internship for all students as a part of curriculum
- Emphasis on social context to engineering education
- National as well as international exposure to enhance students’ vision and enrich personality
- Experiential learning in association with industry
- Additional inputs from national and international experts
- Industry internship certificate
- Yoga/sports certificate
In this Programme, You will learn….The petroleum engineering students will provide a broad education spectrum from exploration of hydrocarbons to refining and transportation of oil and gas. This will involve understanding of knowledge of pure and applied sciences along with different engineering clusters related to petroleum industry. They are given exposure to learn the safest and most efficient methods of bringing hydrocarbon resources to the surface. At MIT-WPU, we develop Petroleum Engineers with sound human values and sense of world citizenship. Our objective is to offer students with real life industrial exposure. National and international study tours will provide global exposure to our students. Our program includes tracks from exploration, drilling engineering, production engineering, reservoir engineering, refining and transport of oil and gas. The curriculum is imparted with active learning methods like problem based learning (PBL), experiential learning and collaborative learning. Choice based course selection, projects and electives across disciplines offer much needed inter-disciplinary approach to budding petroleum engineers. Equipped with highly experienced faculty and strong industry academia connect.
How will this Programme be taught?First year of engineering will provide foundation of basic and engineering sciences including living systems. Since design is pivotal to the engineering profession, students in first year are given perception of design thinking. Social internship in the first year will give realization to the students about problems faced by community. This is expected to sow the seeds of socially oriented innovation in the student’s mind. Second year courses are designed to provide strong foundation in engineering sciences from the chosen disciplines. Summer internship at the end of second year will involve guided study tour. The tour will expose the students to our diverse culture, technology achievements and challenges. Third and fourth years will include subjects belonging to the chosen track in his/her own trade. International study tour of four weeks will offer global exposure whereas industry internship in the final year will offer real life industry experience. Project based learning in the last two trimesters will inculcate problem solving skills, team spirit, professional ethics and self-learning experience.
Tracks under Petroleum Engineering Programme
- Exploration, risk and decision analysis
- Reservoir Engineering
- Drilling Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Refining and transport.
- Number of years: Four
- Academic Pattern: Trimester
- Electives: Choice based electives to follow specialization tracks
- Credit System: Choice based Credit Systems, 180 + Credits
- BS : Basic Sciences
- EC : Engineering Core
- DC : Departmental Core
- DE : Departmental Electives
- HS : Humanities and Sciences
- SK : Skill based Courses
MIT-WPU Method for AcademicsA Revolutionary Education System that is completely flexible and continuously updated while interacting with surroundings. Contemplates on the future requirements of students while focusing on the inclusion of those traits in current students in real time.
FacultyCurriculum is delivered through highly qualified and experienced domestic/ international faculties and industry professionals.
AssessmentEvaluation pattern: Continuous evaluation, Midterm, End semester examination, Practical and Oral examination.
|Hostel:||Spacious Rooms (AC/Non-AC), Laundry|
|Canteens:||Wide range of meal options|
|Recreation facilities:||Sports – Basketball court, Gymnasium, Wrestling arena, Volleyball court and Athletics track|
|Classroom:||Equipped with audio-visual facilities, modern ICT facilities|
|Laboratories:||State-of-the-art Laboratory Infrastructure|
|Auditorium:||Fully air conditioned with around 800 seating capacity with excellent acoustics used by students for performing arts and movie screening|
Life @ Campus
Technical competitions arranged by students/collegeNIRMITEE (Civil Engineering), TEXEPHYR (Mechanical, Computer, E&TC, IT), Society of Petroleum Engineers (Petroleum), PETROTECH (Petrochemical) and AFFINITY (Polymer)
Extra-curricular activitiesAnnual social gathering, trekking, inspirational movie screening, heritage tour visits to empower students in rural area.
EventsROBOCON: International and national level competitions on Robotics, ONGC Chair Programs in Oil and Gas sector. IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things and Applications (IOTA’2016), IEEE International Workshop on Internet of Things and TV White Spaces (WIOT’2017)
- Reservation policy as laid down by Government of Maharashtra
- Seats for admission in the university for the student belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribes, De-notified Tribes, Nomadic Tribes, Other Backward Classes and Handicapped Students, shall be reserved as per the policy of the State Government. The total reservation in any case shall not exceed 50%.
- Out of total intake, 70% of seats shall be reserved for the students domiciled in State of Maharashtra.
For Maharashtra State Candidate & All India Candidate
- The Candidate should be an Indian National;
- Passed HSC or its equivalent examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry or Biotechnology or Biology or Technical Vocational subjects, and obtained at least 50 % marks (at least 45 % marks, in case of Backward class categories and Persons with Disability candidates belonging to Maharashtra State only) in the above subjects taken together and
- Obtained score in MHT-CET 2017 conducted by the Competent Authority. OR Obtained score in JEE (Main) 2017 conducted by the Competent Authority.
- Passed Diploma in Engineering and Technology and obtained at least 50 % marks (at least 45 % marks, in case of Backward class categories and Persons with Disability candidates belonging to Maharashtra State only);