B. Tech (Civil Engineering)Engineering is the profession in which knowledge of mathematics and natural sciences is used to the benefit of mankind. Engineers develop solutions to the problems of society within the constraints of economy and environment. Their primary job function includes activities such as design, analysis, manufacturing, research, sales, management, consulting and many more. New generation engineers are required to cope up with rapid changes in both, domain knowledge and nature of problems to be solved. Engineering profession is becoming increasingly interdisciplinary; making demands on knowledge, skills as well as personality. Our B. Tech Programme is based on the three cardinal principles: providing social context to education, giving maximum choice to the student to choose a career path and encouraging active learning.
Why to Choose Civil Engineering?A Civil Engineer has to work in diverse fields viz. Irrigation, Dams, Canals, Hydropower, Roads, Railways, Buildings, Industrial Structures, Bridges, Docks, Harbours, Airfields, Tunnels, Environmental Engineering (including Water Supply and Wastewater Treatment Systems) etc. A Civil Engineer is also responsible for wide spectrum of activities involving planning, designing, construction and maintenance of various civil engineering works. It provides an access to the public sector for employment through competitive exams likes UPSC, MPSC. The public sector undertakings are the Indian Railways, The Indian Aviation Authority, The CPWD, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust, Nuclear Power Corporation of India, National Highway Authority of India, many State PWD’s, Corporations, etc. The employment opportunities in the private sector with leading construction companies like HCC, Shapoorji Palonji, DLF, SPCL, GMR Infrastructure, B G Shirke Construction Company, L&T, ACC, TCS, Punj Lyod, etc. Civil Engineers can be entrepreneurs and start their own construction companies, get employed with various consulting organization or be consultants themselves. Civil Engineers can opt for post-graduation and further Ph.D. They also can become researchers as well as faculty members in Engineering Institutes. At MIT-WPU, the department has Centre of Excellence for `Innovative Design and Construction Technologies, which is established in campus with the building science department of the Politecnico De Milano of Italy. There are active Memorandum of Understandings (MOU) for collaborative research with organizations like, Pune Construction Engineering and Research Foundation, Builders Association of India, KL Structures USA and BSDC College UK.
- The B. Tech Civil Program under MIT-WPU is a 4 year program with 12 Semesters of Choice Based Credit System Pattern with Industry Training to make industry ready Engineers.
- It is an ideal blend of Academics and Practical Applications with Corporate Pattern, Philosophy, Extra Curricular and Co-Curricular Activities.
- Student can choose his electives from the wide spectrum of subjects to meet his individual professional targets.
- Opportunity to see and work with corporate world through industry visits and live projects, and also can explore the possibilities of higher studies and research while visiting research organizations and premium institutes of National and International repute.
- International Study Tours to Foreign Universities with unique Modular Certificate Course will help in developing global competencies among students.
- Better career opportunities as compared to other students due to high industry training component. Strong Placement Training and Support is offered.
- Wide Choice of elective subjects to meet individual professional goals.
- One semester Industrial Internship for all students as a part of curriculum.
- Emphasis on social context to engineering education.
- National as well as International exposure to enhance students vision and enrich personality.
- Experiential learning in association with industry.
- Additional inputs from national and international experts
- Industry Internship Certificate
- Yoga/Sports Certificate
In this Programme, You will learn….First year provides foundation of basic sciences including living systems. Since design is an activity central to the engineering profession, students in the very first year are exposed to design thinking. Social internship in first year is credit based and exposes the students to the problems faced by community. This is expected to sow the seeds of socially oriented innovation in the students’ mind. Second year courses are designed to provide grounding in basic engineering sciences from the chosen disciplines. Summer internship at the end of the second year involves guided study tour. The tour will expose the students to our diverse culture technology achievements and challenges. Third and fourth year will include the subjects belonging to the chosen track in his/her trade. International study tour of four weeks duration will offer a global exposure whereas semester long industry internship in the final year will offer real life industry experience. Capstone project in the eighth semester and inter-disciplinary project in the seventh semester will inculcate problem solving skills, team spirit, professional ethics and habit of self-learning.
How will this Programme be taught?Civil Engineering being one of the most versatile discipline of engineering, involves analysis, design, development and up gradation of products, systems and processes in every walk of human life. At MIT-WPU, we develop Civil Engineers with sound human values and sense of world citizenship. Our objective is to offer students with real life industrial exposure. National and international study tour will offer global exposure to our students. Our programme offers five tracks of specialization which lead to careers in cutting edge technologies like structural analysis & design, environmental engineering, infrastructure planning, construction and management, soil engineering and foundation engineering and water resources. Civil Engineering curriculum is imparted with active learning methods like Problem Based Learning (PBL), experiential learning and collaborative learning. Equipped with highly experienced faculty and strong industry academia connect, MIT-WPU school of Civil Engineering offers to turn out world class Civil Engineers.
|Number of Years||Four (Trimester Pattern)|
|Number of Semester||Twelve|
|Evaluation Pattern||Continuous Evaluation, Mid-term and End-semester Examination along with Practical and Oral Examination|
|Electives||Choice based Electives to follow specialization tracks|
|Industrial Internship||Twenty to Twenty four weeks, Live projects, Research projects|
|Value Added Certification||Social Internship, World Peace and Philosophy Certification, International Modular Certification jointly with a reputed organization|
- BS : Basic Sciences
- EC : Engineering Core
- DC : Departmental Core
- DE : Departmental Electives
- HS : Humanities and Sciences
- SK : Skill based Courses
MIT-WPU Method for AcademicsA Revolutionary Education System that is completely flexible and continuously updated while interacting with surroundings. Contemplates on the future requirements of students while focusing on the inclusion of those traits in current students in real time.
Tracks under Civil Engineering Programme
- Structural Analysis & Design
- Environmental Engineering
- Infrastructure Planning
- Construction and Management
- Soil and Foundation Engineering and
- Water resources
- Prof. R. S. Jangid, IIT Powai
- Prof. Vasant Matsagar, IIT Delhi
- Mr. Cyrus M. Dordi, Ambuja Cement
- Prof. Enrico De Engelis Politecnico De Milano, Italy
- Mr. C.M Venkatesh, AKER Solutions Ltd.
- Prof. Ingrid Paoletti Politechnico De Milano, Italy
- Prof. Gajanan Sabnis University of Howard, Washington USA
- Prof. Mujtaba Lokhandwala Construction Research Foundation
- Prof. Souvik Banergee, IIT Powai
FacultyCurriculum will be delivered through highly qualified and experienced domestic / international faculties and industry professionals.
AssessmentA blend of periodic Written Assessment and Continuous Assessment will be used for better engagement of students and effective evaluation. Course work 25%, Continuous assessment of work 25%, Mid-semester and End-semester Examination 50 %
|Hostel:||Spacious Rooms (AC/Non-AC), Laundry|
|Canteens:||Wide range of meal options|
|Recreation facilities:||Sports – Basketball court, Gymnasium, Wrestling arena, Volleyball court and Athletics track|
|Classroom:||Equipped with audio-visual facilities, modern ICT facilities|
|Laboratories:||State-of-the-art Laboratory Infrastructure|
|Auditorium:||Fully air conditioned with around 800 seating capacity with excellent acoustics used by students for performing arts and movie screening|
Life @ Campus
Technical competitions arranged by students/collegeNIRMITEE (Civil Engineering), TEXEPHYR (Mechanical, Computer, E&TC, IT), Society of Petroleum Engineers (Petroleum), PETROTECH (Petrochemical) and AFFINITY (Polymer)
Extra-curricular activitiesAnnual social gathering, trekking, inspirational movie screening, heritage tour visits to empower students in rural area.
EventsROBOCON: International and national level competitions on Robotics, ONGC Chair Programs in Oil and Gas sector. IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things and Applications (IOTA’2016), IEEE International Workshop on Internet of Things and TV White Spaces (WIOT’2017)
- Reservation policy as laid down by Government of Maharashtra
- Seats for admission in the university for the student belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribes, De-notified Tribes, Nomadic Tribes, Other Backward Classes and Handicapped Students, shall be reserved as per the policy of the State Government. The total reservation in any case shall not exceed 50%.
- Out of total intake, 70% of seats shall be reserved for the students domiciled in State of Maharashtra.
For Maharashtra State Candidate & All India Candidate
- The Candidate should be an Indian National;
- Passed HSC or its equivalent examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry or Biotechnology or Biology or Technical Vocational subjects, and obtained at least 50 % marks (at least 45 % marks, in case of Backward class categories and Persons with Disability candidates belonging to Maharashtra State only) in the above subjects taken together and
- Obtained score in MHT-CET 2017 conducted by the Competent Authority. OR Obtained score in JEE (Main) 2017 conducted by the Competent Authority.
- Passed Diploma in Engineering and Technology and obtained at least 50 % marks (at least 45 % marks, in case of Backward class categories and Persons with Disability candidates belonging to Maharashtra State only);