About the ProgrammeManagement education in recent years has moved beyond basic streams in line with industry and macroeconomic requirements. Management aspirants are also venturing to explore opportunities in upcoming streams beyond the essential fundamental ones. Marketing function is one of the most crucial and dynamic functions of any organization and so are the rewarding careers in marketing. In recent years, there is a great demand for industry specific skill sets. This has led to emergence of many specializations which are in line with dynamic industry demands which promise a good future for students to pursue their dreams and ambitions. Sports Management is one such fast emerging industries. It includes business activities such as marketing, planning, organizing, directing, controlling, budgeting, client servicing, hospitality, contract negotiations, customer relationship management (CRM), analytics, data and more.
Why to Choose MBA in Sports Management with dual specialization?The sport industry offers rewarding career opportunities as the industry continues to grow in India and globally. Today, India is moving towards becoming a sporting nation. MBA in Sport Management at MIT-WPU therefore aims to provide special training for Sport Business Managers who are working in the sector or those who are seeking a professional career in this industry. It is also open to the graduates in any discipline with no prior work experience and who are looking for a rewarding career in sport industry. MBA in sports management and marketing provides and develops the necessary skill sets essential for the students who are passionate about pursuing a career in sports. As an outcome of this programme, students will gain professional expertise essential to achieve meaningful employment in the industry. MIT World Peace University breaths its core ethos of ‘World Peace’ through value added education. Sport has a power to build peace and encourage development, ranging from preventing violence to humanitarian relief of society. Sport can also build personal skills such as handling conflict, problem solving, and improving communication. Hence, sport can be used as an intervention strategy to improve quality of people’s lives. With the above background, MBA-Sports Management becomes a necessity to develop personal skills as well as to aid in achieving broader objective of World Peace. This dual MBA programme includes subjects and course work in Sports as well as Marketing Management Programme. This develops the necessary and transferable skill-set to students which would be an advantage when they enter the corporate world.
Indicators that clearly show the Growth of Sports Industry
- Sports Sponsorship in 2016 was approx. 6,400* crores from 5,300 crores in 2015
- The advent of leagues and tournaments has directly led to financial investment to develop and upgrade sports infrastructure. From Feb. 2016 the government gave industry status to sports infrastructure
- India to host the FIFA U-17 World Cup
- Participation across grassroots, professional and amateur sports
- 4 million work force is needed by the industry in the coming decade
Sports recruitment across diverse sectors:Some examples are provided below for representation.
- FMCG and Automobiles industry:
- Pepsi; Hyundai are sponsors to Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). An opportunity to work with these leading brands in FMCG and Automobile industry to account manage the sponsorship
- Maruti Suzuki’s centralized sponsorship with the Indian Premier League
- Mobile Phones & Telecom:
- VIVO sponsorship of the Indian Premier League; Moto sponsors of Rising Pune Supergiant
- HTC mobile sponsor of North East Ltd in the Indian Super League
- Vodafone centralized sponsorship with the Indian Premier League
- To explore current trends and key concepts in sports management
- To enable students to further develop analytical and decision-making skills and to encourage reflective practice
- To inculcate essential business & marketing skills blended with specialized knowledge in sports management that will prepare learners for the career across various corporate houses spread across diverse industry. (Sports industry; Telecom; CSR; FMCG; Finance and more)
- To aim for holistic development of the students by inculcating business ethics and values with a broader objective of propagating the cause of World Peace.
- To introduce students a spectrum of concepts and theories that will enable them to critically analyze sports organizations contexts and functions both nationally and internationally
- To enable students to recognize, plan and develop appropriate management skills necessary to build a strong network in the sport industry.
- To help to gain meaningful employment.
- To recognize the power of sports in bringing about social inclusion.
- A unique dual specialization approach of MBA in Sports Management and Marketing
- Unique WPU method comprising
- Global Leadership Programme-2 weeks
- International Exposure-2 to 3 weeks
- National Study Tour-10 days
- World Peace Courses
- Rural Immersion Programme-1 week
- Competency Mapping of every student for better career planning and progression
- Courses taught by sports and marketing experts as well as select foreign faculty
- A dedicated last trimester for Industry Internship besides Industry Project as well as Live projects
- A well-recognized Advisory Board of National and International Experts from Sports and Marketing
- Mentoring Programme and Unique Progress Assessment Tool of ‘Learning Diary’
- In-house sports infrastructure, tie-ups with renowned sport facility centers and organizations
- Impeccable career opportunities through placement support
- Opportunity to be a part of organizing team of 3 mega National Events of MIT Group (BCS, NTC & NWP )
In this Programme, You will learn….The Sports Management course covers a wide range of subject areas such as: • Sport Organization and Governance • Sport Legal Environment • Sport Broadcasting • Sport marketing and Sponsorship • Facilities and Events Operations Management • Player Management Students will also be given an opportunity in… • Marketing Research • Principles of Marketing • Integrated Marketing Communication • Strategic Marketing
How will this Programme be taught?MIT-WPU provides a specialist management programme designed by the experienced advisory board. The MBA programme provides the flexibility to allow students to get in-depth knowledge of the sports management and marketing. The programme also offers opportunities for work-based research and to undertake a company internship to gain invaluable work experience in the industry.
Pedagogy:The Pedagogy will include but not limited to current topics only. It includes case studies which have impacted the marketing practices and sports industry along with theory and practical teaching which will provide students hands-on experience with specific visits to industry, clubs and events. The intensity of the course is to educate students on the resilience required to succeed in the sports industry.
- A Dual Specialization in MBA in Sports Management and Marketing. The program will provide students a dynamic and engaging course curriculum which will provide an insight to the exciting world of sports management
- Programme will have Trimester Pattern with total 6 trimesters spread over 2 years
- Each Trimester will have Full Credit courses, Half Credit courses and specified certifications
Courses OfferedEach Trimester will have Core and Elective courses. The MBA in Sport Management and Marketing Programme is a combination of: a) Core Courses (100 Marks each): Full Credit Courses b) Electives Courses (50 Marks each): Half Credit Courses The entire programme will have total 90 credits.
|Trimester I (Aug to Nov)||Principles and Practices of Management& Organizational Behavior|
|Basics of Marketing|
|Introduction to Sports Industry|
|Sports Organization & Administration|
|World Peace Course- I|
|Trimester II (Dec to March)||Economics for Managers|
|Business Research Methods|
|Integrated Marketing Communication|
|Sports Planning and Management|
|Sports Marketing and Sales-I|
|World Peace Course II|
|Trimester III (April to July)||Management Information System|
|Strategic Brand Management|
|Media Management in Sports|
|Sports Marketing and Sales-II|
|World Peace Course III|
|Trimester IV (Aug to Nov)||Marketing Strategy|
|Sales & Distribution Management|
|Business to Business Marketing|
|Event Management in Sports|
|Leadership in Sports|
|World Peace Course IV|
|December and January-Industry Project|
|Trimester V (Feb to April)||Services Marketing|
|Start Up and New Venture Management|
|Summer Project Report, Viva Voce|
|World Peace Course V|
|Trimester VI (May to July)||Industry Internship|
Guest Lectures8 Guest Lectures per trimester from National and International Speakers, Eminent Sport Personalities and Marketing Experts.
Value Added CertificationsStudents will be offered value added certifications like Dale Carnegie, Six Sigma and Digital Marketing etc. to bolster value addition.
Live ProjectsEach student will work upon at least one live project for a specified course. Thus each student will undertake minimum two live projects in the entire programme other than Industry Project. Some live sporting events students will work upon include:
- Indian Super League
- Indian Premier League
- Fight Leagues: Mixed Martial Arts; Super Fight Leagues
- Sports Management Companies: IMG –R,Procam International
- Broadcasters: Star; Sony; Ten Sports, ESPN
- Corporate Houses Sponsoring Sport: Vodafone, TVS Motors, Hero
- Governing Bodies & Sports Federations: BCCI, IPL
Industry InternshipAfter the trimester V, each student will undertake extensive Industry Internship for the entire trimester VI. Students will be assessed for their Internship Report.
MIT-WPU Method for AcademicsMIT-WPU has its unique, well thought and effective method of learning and acquiring skills.
- Global Leadership Programme
- Business and Sports Leaders Talk
- University-Institute Collaborations
- International Study Tour
- National Study Tour
- World Peace Courses
- Rural Immersion Programme
- Duration: 1 week
- To sensitize Sports Management students towards the realities of rural India by immersing(staying) in the villages
- To contribute to Rural Development, especially, for activities related to sports
- Organizing Sports Events in rural parts with involvement of local/rural youth
- Studying challenges faced in rural infrastructure and suggesting solutions
- Film Appreciation
- Autobiography and Enriching Reading
- Events under MBA Sports:
- Corporate Events: Cricket Matches with MOU Corporates
- Intercollegiate: Sports Meet, Marathons
- Social Events: Peace Walk
- Mr. Camil Smeulders: Founder & MD SportBizz, Netherlands
- Mr. Ardeshir Jeejeebhoy: CEO – Walnut Sports & Media
- Mr. Anuj Pandey: MD Himalaya Publishing & Director – Walnut Sports & Media
- Mr. Sandeep Sangwan: Director – Walnut Sports & Media
- Mr. Bhupesh Kumar: Sr VP Aon Global
- Mr. Robin Singh: Ex India Cricket player & Current Coach Mumbai Indians
- Mr. Dinesh Deo: Chief Executive Officer, BNY Mellon (India)
- Mr. Mukul Varshney: Director – Corporate Affairs, John Deere India
- Mr. Kailash Katkar: CEO, Quick Heal Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
FacultyBesides in-house faculty expertise following are Experts/Professionals from Industry who will be invited for interaction/ guest lectures
Industry / Subject Experts:
- Mr. Hemant Dua (CEO Delhi Daredevils Indian Premier League)
- Mr. Taron Mohan (Managing Director and CEO NextGen Telesolutions Pvt. Ltd)
- Mr. Deepender Sehajpal –(Former Business Head (Digital) and Senior Vice President Marketing Ten Sports Network)
- Mr. Ardeshir Jeejeebhoy ( CEO – Walnut Sports & Media)
- Mr. Farhad Irani (Sports Management Professional)
- Mr. Bhupesh Kumar( Sr VP Aon Global)
- Mr. Anuj Pandey: (MD Himalaya Publishing & Director – Walnut Sports & Media)
- Mr. Ashish Shah (CEO-Delhi Dynamos,Indian Super League)
AssessmentA blend of Periodic Written Assessment and Continuous Assessment will be used for better engagement of students and effective evaluation
- Components of Assessment are suggested as
- Course Work : 20 % Weightage
- Final Trimester End Written Exam : 30 % Weightage
- Continuous Assessment (by course teacher) : 50 % Weightage
- Continuous Assessment (Concurrent Evaluation): A continuous assessment approach in Trimester System (also known as internal assessment) is spread through the duration of course and is done by the course teachers. The continuous assessment provides a feedback on teaching learning process. The feedback, after being analyzed, is passed on to the concerned student for implementation and subsequent improvement.
Award of Class/Grading System:The Grading System ensures natural classification in qualitative terms rather than quantitative, since it expresses a range/band of scores to which a learner belongs such as O, A, B, C, D, E and F
InfrastructureSports Ground, Cricket Ground, Athletics, Basket Ball Ground, Well equipped Gymnasium, Lawn Tennis Court, and Table Tennis. The campus has a National Boat Club which provides Kayaks, Row Boats to students for learning boating.
PlacementStudents will get career opportunities across diverse industry sectors such as • Corporate Houses across diverse industries: FMCG, Automobile, Telecom, etc. • Player Representation •Government: Sports Authority of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Indian Olympic Association • Federation: BCCI, AIFF etc. • Broadcasters and Media Houses • Ancillary Industry: Ticketing, Licensing, Event • Sports Management Companies, Sports Leagues & Franchises etc.
Life @ Campus
- Well-equipped state-of-the-art Classroom
- Accommodation Facilities
- Sports Infrastructure
- Student Support
- Social Media Hub
- Earn and Learn
- Student Membership for Sports Clubs