B.Sc. EconomicsThe Bachelor in Science programme in Economics is a three-year undergraduate programme designed to equip students with the knowledge, tools, methods and theories of Economics in a way such that they can apply them in practice. The aim of the programme is to help students to critically and objectively analyze issues related to economy, business, public policy and society. To develop analytical and quantitative abilities, problem-solving aptitude and skills through academics, to motivate and encourage students to get research oriented projects. The Programme has 108 credits and 32 subjects.
Why to Choose?MIT-WPU gives you the world’s most advanced and uniquely defined opportunity-based professional education for your deserved success and also make you contribute to the global sustainable peace for the ultimate community of humanity – all at the same time!
- Understanding Business Analysis
- Analysing Government Policies
- Developing Research Skills
- Holistic Development of the Student
- Experienced Learning
- WPU Method (Continuous Updated Education System)
- Co-creation of Theory and Practice
- Outstanding curriculum in Economics is supplemented with International Business, Business Analysis and Law Programs
- Exchange Programs/International and National Study Tours
- Better prospects than conventional MBA programs
- Internships with Corporate companies/Policy Think Tanks/Government Projects and NGOs
- Choice based Credit system with combination of Economics, Law and Management
- Teaching is based on Mathematics and Statistics
- Projects from several sectors
- Campus Placement
- Live Projects from Banks and Government
In this Programme, You will learn….
- Analytical Skills
- Communication Skills
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Detail-oriented Skills
- Quantitative Skills
- Writing Skills
- Computer Skills
How will this Programme be taught?MIT-WPU provides a specialized economics programme designed to suit the needs of the broad eco-system which includes all industries, hospitals, public institutions and NGOs. The programme provides the flexibility to focus on particular sector(s) or skills which support your professional aspirations. It offers opportunities for work-based research and the opportunity to undertake an internship to gain invaluable practical knowledge in several fields with regard to Economics The pedagogy will include but not be limited to current topics only. Case studies that have impacted current economic policies will be discussed. Industry specific visits will expose students to practical challenges. The intensity of the course will educate students on the resilience required to succeed in the professional life in a range from grass-root level to MNC level.
Programme StructureThe programme is divided into several trimesters and each trimester will have number of courses with specified credits
Guest LecturesEminent guest faculties from industry, academia and policy circles will deliver guest lectures
Value Added Certifications
- Industry Certification with Crisil, ICICI, Nielson, NSE/BSE
- Institute Certification online (Harvard Extended)
- Certificate Programme in Business Analytics
- Certificate Programme in Actuary Science
- Certificate Programme in Administrative Service
- Certificate Programme with EDI Ahmadabad
- Live Projects from Banks, Industry and Government
Industry InternshipTwo weeks of industry internship
MIT-WPU Method for Academics
- A Revolutionary Education System that is completely flexible and continuously updating while interacting with surroundings.
- Contemplates on the future requirements of student while focusing on the inclusion of those traits in current students in real time.
- MIT-WPU has its unique, well- thought and effective method of learning and acquiring skills.
- To prepare students for the challenges of the global employment market and to strengthen and develop their broader personal and professional skills in the field of Economics which will develop unique Global Leaders.
- The objectives of the programme, is to provide practical career workshops and experience in diverse business cultures and policy research.
- The programme will be more challenging, rewarding and giving you an opportunity to manage people, and build on your leadership qualities.
- Additionally, you will have the opportunity to visit great multi-national corporations/renowned research centers.
- The international experiences provided as part of the MIT-WPU Method will give you the chance to create important career and personal networks around the globe.
- Get experience of different cultures and see how business operates across the globe.
- Fly to an international Symposium/University, in an academic setting with experts in the field.
- Take part in a field trip with your course, you can travel with your classmates, gain subject knowledge and academic credits.
- Undertake international research projects.
- An important part of the programme is to meet and hear from current renowned speakers and to connect unexpected actors in the eco-system around economists.
- Throughout the programme, you will be able to learn from the experiences of current corporate professionals, economic journalists, NGO initiators and many more.
- To gain an in-depth understanding of business forecasting, research and analytical tools, which helps in all facets of professional life.
- Beijing Technology and Business University
- University of Hong Kong
International Study Tour
- End of the Term IV, students will go for an International Study tour before internship / final placement.
- 30 days international exposure which includes the industrial visits/visits to various governmental offices, and training sessions will be conducted by the above universities.
- Each Student, during this tour, will gain hands-on experience of the different environments of MNCs and International Policy Think Tanks.
National Study TourTerm II onwards, each student will go for a National Study Tour. National Study tour will include meeting different economists, visiting different think tanks where in you can widen your knowledge of applied economics. National Study Tour will be of approximately 1 week to places like RBI Mumbai, BSE/NSE, NITI Ayog/Media House at Delhi/Mumbai, etc. where students can meet top Economists of industry and Government
Rural Immersion Programme
- To sensitize students of Economics towards realities of rural India by staying and contributing in the villages.
- To co-create solutions for challenges faced in a range from grass-root level to MNC level, where economists can be seen as an initiator of the change.
- Policy Appreciation
- Autobiography and enriching reading
- Prof. Tirthankar Roy, Professor, London School of Economics
- Dr. Ajit Ranade, Group Chief Economist, Aditya Birla Group
- Prof. Bandi Kamaiah, Senior Economist
- Prof. Satish Deodhar, IIM Ahmedabad
- Prof. K.R. Shyam Sundar, ILO Consultant
- Prof. Arup Maharatna, Professor, BITS Pilani
- Ms. Piya Mahtaney, Former Associate Editor, The Economic Times
- Prof. Dr. Vishwanath D. Karad Founder & Mananging Trustee, MAEER’s Group of Institutions
- Shri. Rahul V. Karad Executive President, MAEER’s Group of Institutions
- Shri. Nanik Rupani Philanthropist and Entrepreneur
- Shri. V.K. Sharma former ED, RBI
- Dr. Shailashree Haridas Economist and Corporate Trainer
- Dr. Madhuri Kulkarni Environmentalist
- Shri. Jai Purandare ex-Managing Partner, PWC
- Dr. Narendra Jadhav MP Rajya Sabha, Writer and Educationist
- Shri. Pradip Shah former MD, Crisil
- Ms. Deena Mehta former President, BSE
- Ms. Bhavna Doshi Independent Consultant
AssessmentContinuous evaluation with credit based system Term end: 40% Field Work: 30% Mid-term: 20% Class Participation: 10%
InfrastructureWe offer state-of-the-art infrastructure with air-conditioned rooms which are ICT enabled for seamless learning of students. Hostel facilities will be made available for students on payment basis within 1 and 1 ½ km radius of the Campus.
- Placement assistance will be provided in top companies such as:
- Bharati Axa
- Aditya Birla Retail
- Bajaj Electricals
- HDFC Bank
- Yes Bank
- L&T Infotech
- Tata Technologies
- Reliance Industries
- Print and Visual Media
Life @ CampusWith due respect and importance to the IT revolution and being a technological institution, MAEER’s MIT Pune has taken all the steps to equip its students with all the advantages this revolution has to offer. With its help we have transformed MAEER’s MIT Pune campus into a true e-campus with a total of 400 computers connected with fiber-optic backbone networks and server-client technology. The e-campus comprises of a state-of-art Internet Centre which remains open for 24 hours and has been connected with a 4 MBPS leased line through ERNET which facilitates high-speed internet access and uninterrupted connectivity throughout the campus. We take every effort to encourage our students to participate in various social, cultural and sports activities. The college has its own cricket, football and volleyball ground. It also has 1500 sq. ft. modern style well equipped gymnasium. Table Tennis, Carrom and Wrestling facilities are also provided. Our students have participated and won number of prizes at Inter-Collegiate, University, State and National levels. MIT Pune has successfully organized several sports tournaments including Inter-Engineering Athletic Meet, Cricket, Basketball, Volleyball, Table Tennis Tournaments, Zonal level Boxing, Badminton, Chess tournaments and Inter-Professional College Volleyball, Basketball tournaments, and so on. Summit – A National Level Inter-Engineering Meet Robocon
Eligibility*55% in XIIth Standard from any Stream (Arts, Science, Commerce, etc.). 50% for those from the reserved category.
Selection CriteriaAdmission to B.Sc. Economics will be based on a three-fold criteria-marks of 12th Standard (of any Board in the country or its equivalent abroad), a statement of purpose (SOP) explaining why the candidate wants to take admission into the course followed by a personal interview of the candidate. The SOP has to be in the form of a three minute video which the candidate has to upload on MIT-WPU website. Based on these three criteria, candidate’s eligibility for the course will be decided and admission will be given on merit basis. We are following this selection method because we believe that it is the candidate’s inherent interest in the subject and passion for it than mere aptitude are required for the candidate to complete this course satisfactorily.
- Last date for application: 5thJune, 2017
- Last date for uploading of SOP Video: 6thJune, 2017
- Dates for Personal Interviews: 9th and 10thJune, 2017
- Merit list to be declared on the website: 11thJune, 2017
- Course commencement: 15thJune, 2017